Season 4 of the ABC series “You Can’t Ask That” drops into iView tonight, Wednesday 3 April, at 9.30pm, to coincide with the broadcast of the first episode.
Episode 3 focuses on intersex people. It includes 8 brave and articulate people, including 2 board members of IHRA (Alex and Peter) and 6 signatories of the Darlington Statement.
A subject that is still widely misunderstood, secretive and rarely spoken about in detail, eight individuals reveal the complexities of being born with an intersex variation.
Intersex folk are likely to find the program triggering for a focus on genitals, while most people are likely to find it informative. The program shows off significant aspects of our diversity as a population, and it will hopefully help dispel many misconceptions about who we are. Consider watching with friends or family.
Here’s the episode preview:
Thanks so much to all the participants – Alex, Callan, Peter, Derek, Andrea, Natalie, Peter G, and Shon – and to the crew.
- You Can’t Ask That on ABC iView
- Direct link to episode 3 on intersex
- The episode is available on YouTube for a small fee, here
The following pages may be useful to you if you have questions after watching the program:
- Read about bodily integrity, and eliminating harmful practices
- Read about eugenics, prenatal screening and elimination
- Read about discrimination, and stigma
- Read about identification documents, sex and gender
- Defining intersex
- On population figures
- On the way that doctors have historically measured genitalia
We will update this page with further information as it becomes available.